Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

True Professional

When I tell people I work in public relations at an agency in downtown Little Rock, I feel like no one ever gets what I do. They either have no idea what PR is or they believe my job is more glamorous than what it truly is.  
Don’t get me wrong, I love my job because most of my clients are in the business to help people. Therefore, I feel like I indirectly help people too.
In case you are one of those that do not know exactly what I do – it is complicated to a point. I do a bunch of different things – but what keeps me the most busy is event planning. To make it even more simple to visualize I will give you an example.
Have you ever watched The Wedding Planner starring Jennifer Lopez? If you have – well – I am JLO. J I am the person directing traffic, making sure the tablecloths are ironed and the lighting is just perfect.

Most of the events I have planned are health fairs or educational events for kids. However, the most exciting event I coordinated recently was my first ever news conference. No, it wasn’t with the President of the United States, the Governor of Arkansas or with any sports-related spokesperson.
The event was for one of our clients that work in the energy realm. The topic is unimportant as to why it was so exciting to me. This event was big and very important to our client. The pressure was on to make it successful. It was the first time that my boss, my boss’s boss, my client and my client’s boss had full confidence in me and agreed to every recommendation I threw at them. They did not second guess my opinion or micromanage me.
After the event was over I realized…I am a PROFESSIONAL. That word (professional) has always seemed like something to reach for. I have a college degree, five internships and three years at this agency and it wasn’t until after this event that I felt like a true professional.
This isn’t a post to gloat about my accomplishments; it’s more of a reflection. It also brings me to a question:
When do most people feel like a true professional?

No comments:

Post a Comment