Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Mr. Clean is my brother


Susie Q (aka Mama) put my sister and me to work at a young age. Work = cleaning the house. While my mother was finishing her college degree, Chrisy and I were learning how to become “Susie Homemaker.”
Chrisy cleaned the kitchen, one bathroom and her bedroom. I cleaned the two living rooms, one bathroom and my bedroom. We shared the laundry. Except the socks. I hated mating socks.
Saturday was cleaning day. If there wasn’t anything left to do, we must clean. And when I say ‘anything,’ I mean other chores. If Saturday was booked, then Sunday afternoon became cleaning day. The goal was to have everything clean by Monday morning.
There were also a few other rules. The house must be cleaned before:
  • We go out of town.
  • Before Saturday night’s card party with friends.
  • Before Friday night sleepovers (which means cleaning during the week).
  • Before Christmas parties with family.
These rules have translated into my adult life.
I realized it after I cleaned like a mad man yesterday (Saturday) while my husband was at work. From the kitchen to laundry to changing the sheets on the bed, I had to get every room inspected.
I only had a few hours to clean before we left to visit his family for the weekend. So taking a break was not a possibility. For some reason I was getting anxiety just thinking about going out of town without the house cleaned.
Thanks Susie Q. 

No comments:

Post a Comment